Claim FAQs

What information do I need to open a claim?

To file a claim, you’ll need proof of your last day of work, your prior year W-2, and your doctor’s name, phone, and fax number.

How long will it be before I receive benefits?

Before your claim can be submitted to the insurance company, we must verify your union status, last day worked, and income at Union One. The claim will be processed by the insurance carrier once appropriate medical documentation is received. After all required information is received, it will take approximately 10-14 business days to review before a decision is made and benefits paid. If subject to a pre-existing condition review, the review period may extend.

Will my claim be considered pre-existing?

If you haven’t satisfied your policy’s pre-existing condition limitations, the insurance carrier will conduct a review. Union One is not involved in this determination. The decision is made during the claim approval process, based on your medical records. Please refer to your group policy booklet for more details.

What if I am not able to verify the income I elected?

If there is a discrepancy, your coverage elections will be adjusted. Your Union One Claims Advocate will discuss the adjustments with you to avoid any surprises during your first disability payment.

If I am going to be out longer than I was approved through, how do I get my claim extended?

Additional medical documentation is required for claim extension. Please call Union One at (847) 387-3889, and your Claims Advocate can guide you through the process.

Do I still have to pay premiums while I am on disability?

While on Short Term Disability, you must continue paying monthly premiums. If you transition to Long Term Disability, or exhaust all Short Term Disability benefits, your disability premiums will be waived. Life insurance premiums must continue to be paid.

If my doctor releases me to return to work, but my employer hasn't cleared my return, will my benefits continue?

Your benefits will cease once your doctor declares you no longer disabled. Please coordinate your return to work with your physician and contact your Claims Advocate at (847) 387-3889 with any questions or concerns.

My claim has been denied; what are my next steps?

If your claim is denied, you may appeal the decision. Union One offers a courtesy appeal service, and our specialists will assist you if your claim was wrongfully denied. Contact your Claims Advocate at (847) 387-3889 for assistance.

Who should I be contacting, Union One or the insurance carrier?

Union One is the administrator of your policy, and the insurance carrier underwrites and manages claims. We recommend contacting your Claims Advocate at Union One with any questions or concerns to ensure a smooth process.